All of LES People’s FCU’s services are available to all members, regardless of immigration status. In addition, we provide the following services to support immigrant members.
ITIN Application Assistance
LES PEOPLE’S FCU is a Certified Acceptance Agent for the IRS, authorized to provide assistance with the Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) application. The IRS issues ITINs to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA).
ITINs allow you to declare your taxes, open bank accounts that earn interest, apply for loans and build credit. ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because both resident and nonresident aliens may have a U.S. filing or reporting requirement under the Internal Revenue Code.
LES PEOPLE’S FCU can help members with the ITIN application through the opening of an interest bearing account at LES PEOPLE’S FCU. Please call 212-529-8197 to make an appointment.
Step 1 ‐ What to bring for the ITIN application:
- Original supporting documents to prove Foreign Status and Identity. Only thepassport is a stand‐alone document that meets Foreign and Identity requirements. See list of supporting documents on the back.
- Notarized color copy of above supporting documents that meet Foreign Status andIdentity.
- $25 service charge.
Step 2 ‐ What to bring to open an interest‐bearing account at LES PEOPLE’S FCU:
- Valid Government Picture ID such as passport, consular ID, benefit card, state issued
- Proof of address such as most recent utility bill, rent receipt, pay stub, voter ID or notarized letter of residence.
- Qualifying field of membership proof: Proof of address, proof of income, referral form from partner organization, financial advisor or immediate family member.
- $75 minimum deposit (this is not a fee) to avoid $3 monthly service fee.
If you qualify for an ITIN and your application is complete, you will receive a letter from the IRS assigning your tax identification number, usually within six weeks.
LES People’s FCU enables you to do domestic and international wire transfers. Come to our branch and arrange to have funds transferred to family and friends in other countries and nationwide. You can also arrange to have other people wire funds directly to your LES People’s FCU account.
Once you are a member of LES People’s FCU, you can take advantage of our many affordable financial services, products and training!